Architect, architectural technologist, an architectural designer or technician, what’s the difference?

For domestic building projects it’s always worthwhile using a professional. An Architect will be registered with the RIBA, a Chartered Technologist with the CIAT and a designer or technician may have a degree, diploma or sometimes just experience in their field. They can help you establish your brief, budget, planning constraints, building regs, help you select a builder and inspect their work.

Before selecting your professional it’s worth checking out all your options, ask for examples of work, testimonials and recent planning consents.

Here at Lewis Visuals we often get asked what’s the difference between an architect and other architectural design professionals, so here’s the low-down:


To call yourself an architect in the UK you must be registered with the Architect’s Registration Board (ARB), who is there to protect your interests as a member of the public. It’s members must adhere to their professional code of conduct. You can check whether your ‘architect’ really is an architect on their website here: Some architects also subscribe each year to be a member of the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA).

Typically, it takes an architect seven years to qualify, following a combination of theoretical and practical training, so you can be assured of their professional competence to deliver your project. The Architect’s Registration board also stipulates that its members must hold adequate insurance. However, it is always worthwhile double checking this with your architect before they start work.

Architects are able to offer you ‘full services’, from concept design to detailed construction drawings and specifications, but can also administer the contract between you and your builder throughout the construction phase.


Architectural Technologists also have a professional body – Chartered Institute of Architectural Technologists (CIAT), who have a similar Code of Conduct for its members as the ARB. Chartered Architectural Technologist, MCIAT members can offer and deliver ‘the full range of architectural services’ akin to that of an architect as mentioned above. As with the ARB, CIAT also stipulates that its technologist members hold adequate insurance/s. Typically it will take approximately 5-6 years to qualify.

Some examples of work from Lewis Visuals Chartered Architectural Technologists.


The services that they would provide for a domestic project are broadly very similar. As a broad brush attempt to differentiate, architects are generally more ‘design led’ with greater interest, experience and training in the aesthetic and spatial qualities of a project. Whereas architectural technologists have often had more experience and training in the science and technology of building, e.g. how and why they are constructed in a certain way, using certain materials.

However, there are certainly many architects who are highly technical in their approach and many technologists who are very creative, so individuals should be considered on their own merit.

At Lewis Visuals our team also has experience in interior design, kitchen design, property management and property developments. Although we’re technically qualified we’re also proud of our design flare and fresh look at architecture.



Do not have to be registered with CIAT to describe themselves as such and may or may not have academic qualifications or experience to offer design services.


are partially qualified architects (note, so not architects). Similar to architectural technicians, they will usually work within a practice under the direction of an architect.


This is really a broad term covering all of the above and the title is not protected by a regulatory body. Therefore the title could apply to those with an architectural qualification as mentioned above… or in some cases, none at all. Qualifications, experience and expertise will vary from person to person. So, here are a few things to consider/ questions to ask when appointing any architectural design professional below

Some examples of work from Lewis Visuals Chartered Architectural Technologists.

  • Do they hold professional qualifications demonstrating their competence to deliver your project? Are they registered with the any of the following: ARB, RIBA or CIAT?
  • Do they hold adequate insurance to protect you from errors in their work (Professional Indemnity Insurance)?
  • If they do not hold adequate professional indemnity insurance, their drawings and specifications should not be used for construction. Instead, the design liability could to be passed onto your contractor (builder). For example, the architectural designer could prepare preliminary drawings for planning only. Then, the contractor can develop the design into construction drawings and take responsibility under their insurance.
  • Have they done similar projects before? Ask to see examples when you meet and get references from their past clients.

The key to a successful project is a good professional which will listen to you and support you along the way. Lewis Visuals are different to many other practices in that we do care about transforming lives through design.

Here is some handy information to help you along the way.


IoD’s 2017 London and the South East Director of the Year Awards Finalist

AI Global Excellence Awards Most Outstanding Design and Build Company 2016

BEFA’s Best Service Based Company 2017

BEFA’s Finalist for Best CEO 2017

Houzz Best of Houzz Client Satisfaction 2017

Build’s Most Innovative Designers in the UK 2016

Build’s Best Design and Construction Company in Surrey 2016

BEFA’s Best Female Entrepreneur in Europe and the Middle East 2016

Build’s Best Design and Construction Company in Surrey 2015

WICE Best Female Architectural Technologist in Europe 2015

FSB’s Best Business Person of the Year in Surrey 2015



About us

The Team


Lewis Visuals has offices in Farnham, Brighton, Forest Row, Honiton, Lyme Regis, Yeovil and Potters Bar.

The areas we cover are Surrey, Hampshire, Berkshire, London, East Sussex, Devon, Dorset, Somerset, Hertfordshire and Bedfordshire.

Contact us today for your FREE 1 Hour consultation 01252 714 985

Twitter   Facebook  Website  Google+  LinkedIn Houzz  Instagram